A Guide to
=== Quest for Glory V ===
-FAQ and Walkthrough-
This guide is for newbies and heroes alike. For new players, there are many helpful hints
on the game and combat, and for the heroes, walkthroughs for each quests and other
secrets of the game.
Created by Rana Loreus (firstname.lastname@example.org), on 3/1/99
This document copyright 1999. All rights reserved.
Version 1.0 -- First version of the Dragon Fire Guide
Version 1.1 -- Additional information added.
* Problem of QFG V crashing when playing movies
* Marrying Elsa
* Difficulty Levels
* Some missed-out subquests
* Many grammar mistakes and rules
Version 1.2 -- Patch Update Verison and major additions
* Shorter (and shortest) Bug List (Yeah!)
* Marrying Katrina hints
* NEW! The Spellcaster's Guide to Combat
* NEW! The Warrior-mage's Guide to Combat
* NEW! The Dragonslayer's Handy Guide
* NEW! Dragon Fire List of Cannots
* NEW! So, you want be an archer...
* Corrections to grammar and other errors
* Numberous changes and updates to the subquests section
- Many thanks to the heroes (and heroines) that hang out at the forum.
- Many thanks to Ack for the first Quest for Glory V walkthrough.
- Many thanks and countless cheers for Lori Cole and the Dragon Fire team!
- Many thanks to those who has emailed me, asking questions, helping to me
to figure out what I have mistakenly left out from the guide.
- Thanks to Matt Bates for his info on how to obtain a bow in Dragon Fire
Complied from the Quest for Glory V forum at http://www.qg5.com
This FAQ will not been possible if not the Dragon Fire team has created this game.
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com to correct me, inform me of any things that
I have left out or to send in some tips and hints.
After finishing this Guide, I have also take the time to put up a webpage decidated to
Quest for Glory series. It is at --
The Quest for Quests for Glory: http://www.questqfg.findhere.com
I am also testing out my Combat Guides with new characters (that is, characters that
are not imported) to see whether it is effective or not. I may also starting playing
a thief character as well.
And bravo to Blue Dragon's Dragon Fire FAQ! I have been waiting for it :-)
(Note: What's below are just my opinions. Take it or leave it)
!!! HALT !!!
Stop here, hero. Before proceeding to the wonders beyond, answer these few questions. Have you
tried your best to save Silmaria from the Dragon? Are you really at your wits end, your brain
distorted and your sleep disrupted from all the thinking?
The creator of the game (Lori Cole), and the various programmers and artists have endured toil
and sweat (and as well as syntax errors and headaches) to get Quest for Glory V out. The
quest for Quest for Glory V is a two year struggle. With walkthroughs, you can finish the game
in just two days.
Desist if at all possible! Enjoy the game first. Only when you are hopeless helpless, come
here and seek the answers you want.
Of course, who am I to instruct you how to play a game? These are just my opinions. But the
most important thing is to enjoy yourself over the puzzles in the game and the combat.
Do not spoil the enjoyment of this great game by refering to spoilers.
For these looking for hints and tips, you has also come to the right place. Yes, just gentle
hints and tips, no plot exposing, spoiling walkthroughs. There is a section for that too.
In fact, it is the first chapter.
I personally here wish to say sorry for my poor English, grammer, vocab and punication, for
my mother tongue is not English. Also, another sorry for thieves character out there. I
personally never play a thief in the game (though I hope to do so once), so there are less
detailed hints for thieves. But don't despair, for there is another detailed walkthrough
for thieves somewhere out there as well. I suggest you check http://www.the-spoiler.com
or http://www.gamefaqs.com for it.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1. A helpful Guide
Help for the bewildered hero who does not wish to be spoilt
-Tips for all adventure games
-Dragon Fire's List of Cannots
-Finding your way in Silmaria
-Hints and Tips for beginners
* A general timeline
* Who's Who in Dragon Fire
* A Word about Difficulty
* Combat Tips
* Hints for the Rite
* Character Development hints
* General Hints
* Hints for getting married
-The Spellcaster's Guide to Combat
-The Warrior-mage's Gudie to Combat
2. Guide to winning Dragon Fire
All the walkthroughs here, but by no means complete.
-Where to find what
-The Dragonslayer's Handy Guide
3. Secrets and Wacky Stuff
A couple of minor and interesting spoilers
-Character Import glich
-Lair of the Dragonlings
-The Belly Dancer
-Jumping on the Bed
-Elsa and Magnum
1. A HELPFUL GUIDE
Tips for all adventure games
Finding your way in Silmaria
Hints and Tips for beginners
* A general timeline
* Who's Who in Dragon Fire
* A word about Difficulty Rating
* Combat Tips
* Hints for the Rite
* Character Development hints
* General Hints
* Hints for getting married
TIPS FOR ALL ADVENTURE GAMES
Old time, hard core Quest for Glory fans may know some of these tips...
* Look everywhere. Turn your pesky eyes at all things (excpet these which are forbidden, of
course). In QFG V, the look icon only give you a general description. To examine something
properly, use the hand icon, click on the object you want to examine. There will be option
for you to examine if you can.
* Stock up on objects that you will need. Sharka, owner of the magic shop, will be drugged
after a point in the game (almost after Erasmus is drugged). Stock up on mana potions and
* Get objects that you think you will need. Stock them up. Some examples are the urns for
holding liquid, food, pills, weapons and important items.
* SAVE your game lest your situation cannot be saved.
* And lastly, head for the forum for an on-going tips and disucssion about the game. But make
that your last resort, or keep away from the spoilers. If you want to avoid spoilers, it is
wise to mention that in the message title.
___MINOR SPOILERS HERE___
Don't be afraid to read this part, if you want wish to avoid spoilers. All the spoilers
here are generally harmless...in fact, they will save you from needless trouble too.
Quest for Glory V: So you want be an archer...?
(How to obtain a Bow in Dragon Fire)
Come ye, hear ye, those who are dying to own a bow and poke a few holes into
these Roman Invaders with their own arrows! Here's a way to obtain a bow
in Dragon Fire (wild cheerings) ...but... (dead silence) you will need a hex
editor (mouse clicking frantically to look for one)
Now, let me not keep you in suspend any longer...how do you get a bow
in Dragon Fire?
"Ok, here is how you do it by steps:
1.) At beginning of game (after you come from portal), it still works if you
visit the hall of kings as well, go straight to Pholus. Buy 5 arrows and
save the game.
2.) Go to the hex editor and open the file you saved to. Search for this
Hex string: FC8A01000500.
3.) The editor should highlight the string. Change the FC to FA (for normal
bow) or FB (magic bow). Load the saved game and you should have 5 bows in
your inventory. Go ahead and buy as many arrows as you want. You can only
equip the bow by either putting it on belt and hitting the number key
assigned to it, or double-click and click on equip. I haven't fought with
the normal bow, but I know that the magic bow is lighter on the inventory.
Unfortuneately, there is no animation and the hero holds the bow on his
wrist. Also, you cannot retrieve arrows unless they hit a monster. They
shoot pretty fast though. They do 8 damage, plus you can zap the quiver of
arrows (that you buy)"
A thousand thanks for this info! Many cheers go to Matt Bates for this method
of obtaining a bow! Visit his Dragon Fire webpage at -- http://www.conquest.net/qfg5
to thank him personally!
BTW, if you are wondering, no, there is no other way you can get a bow in
Dragon Fire so far...
Now, back to our FAQ
Q: How do I enter the Rite of Rulership?
A: Go the bank, and select transations. On the screen, you will see an
"Enter Rites of Rulerships". Click the button to do so. It will cost
you 1000 coins.
Q: Is that all to the Dancing at the Dryads?
Q: I can't find the Salamander!
A: Go swimming often. Areas which you can swim include dragon pillars near the
coast. You can have a good time swimming and fighting there.
Q: How do I import a character?
A: First, copy the saved character file, and pasted it in the \import directory in your
QFG5 directory. For example, if I have the game installed on the C drive, then I will
copy my character files to this location:
Q: What are the common bugs in the game?
A: Most of the bugs are fixed by the release of the patch, but the patch itself
also caused new bug. There is a report of one so far, which happens at the
It seen that all the characters (Magnum, Elsa, Toro, Kokeeno) who has visited
the Arena will not exit, and they will be there the next time. It will go
on until the game crashed.
And, oh yes, the item duplication bug has been removed.
Q: Is there anyway to fight in the Arena properly?
A: Nope, and it seen that Serria will not release another patch for Dragon Fire,
for rumours are spreading that since Yosemite (the developer of Dragon Fire)
has closed down, there will be no more future products (patches or expansions)
for Dragon Fire. Don't lose hope yet, for it still a prediction.
However, there is a temporaily solution to this bug.
Avoid enter the Arena unless you have to. It is recommended that you opt to
fight as a Champion (which is avaliable at about Day 28) and enter the Arena
each time wearing different equipment.
Or you can re-install the game to remove the patch...which brings us to:
Q: Is it worth installing the patch?
A: If you want to marry Katrina, YES
If you want to go to the Dragon Temple on any day, YES
If you don't want the game to crash at strange times, YES
If you want to play as a Paladin-Thief, YES
But if you don't have a problem with the above, then indeed the patch is
quite worthless to install...especially if you have no problems with the game
Q: What are the things I must avoid doing if I want to complete the game?
A: 1) Fogretting to save Katrina or Erana
2) Forgetting the Lethe water (just a thought).
3) Attacking the guards or common townfolks.
4) Forgetting to place the Mystic Magnet into the chest
Basically, that's all.
Q: How do I combine items?
A: It's in the manual. Here's the step by step instructions
1) Click on the item that you want to be combined with. Notice that the item's
picture will be displayed in the box (and will be animated).
2) Click on the second item that you want to combine with the first item. Drag
it and drop it on the item in the bigger box.
3) item combined!
One warning! All the two items that you combined together will be gone!
Q: How do I aim a spell?
A: First, drag the spell to the belt.
Then click on it, and drag it around. You will notice that you can aim the spell now.
Q: What are the list of Paladin's abilities and the honour required?
A: Many thanks to Blue Dragon for contributing! Keep a lookout for his
Firstly, the amount of Honour Points you start is determined
by how many QFG games you have played. If you have finished
all four, it shall be at 400. (I have one which missed one
QFG game and he starts with an Honour of 350)
INITATE PALADIN ABILITIES
These abilities are always active.
You will be able to determine what enemies is in the area, and the
numbers. You can also detect evil within creatures or things.
Paladin Sword Flame (honour: 300)
Causes your paladin sword to break out in a blue blaze. The
Paladin Sword will do a bonus damage based on your honour.
ADDITIONAL PALADIN ABILITIES
Heal (Honour: 300)
Restore Health Points but drain your stamina.
Magic Ward (Honour: 325)
Protects from Magic but drains Stamina instead.
Honour Shield (Honour: 350)
Increases protection but debuts damage from Stamina.
Destroy Undead (Honour: 375)
You have to aim this spell. Damages Undead.
Peace (Honour: 400)
Operates like a Calm spell.
Sense Aura (Honour: 425)
Detects whether the feelings of the target.
Holy Stength (Honour: 450)
Increases Strength by a variable amount (usually 250+)
Awe (Honour: 475)
Scares enemies away.
A Paladin's Honour can reach 550 whereas other characters can only
Q: How do I marry Erana and Katrina?
A: Katrina finally can be married! To claim her heart, you must give
her gifts and protection.
Here are some tips -- for spoilers, read on! You have to be kind to
Erana, no doubt. Fans of the previous QFG games will know what she like.
Explore the garden, and try to think of the things that she will be happy about.
Also, what is the prefect gift for lovers?
Another point -- Erana is a kind soul, she put others before herself. So, you
have to be like that too. (that why Erana is paired up with the Paladin!)
And remember, be faithful. Best policy if you want Erana's heart.
Hint: When you are able to talk to Erana about love, then you are on the right
Q: Can I marry more than one lady?
A: It seem possible before the patch, for after the patch, there is only one
Hera Ring. However, you can buy more Hera Rings if you store the ring you
have inside the chest.
As to whether it is possible to woo all the girls...well, I haven't tried
Q: The game is so difficult!
A: Go to OPTIONS, then CONTROL, and adjust the DIFFICULTY rating all the way down.
Q: How to I control the air balloon?
A: Click to go where you want to go, double click to go down, and a single click
on the balloon to get in again.
Q: Quest for Glory V keeps on crashing after playing the starting movie!
A: Below is an extract from the Quest for Glory V forum at the offical website.
All credit goes to Lejes Theron:
"What happends is the your computer does not work well in the
quicktime format the game is designed in to cure your lock up do the
1.- go to windows explorer
2.- go to the sierra file name and find the qfg5 folder.
3.- go to Data
4.- go to Mov
5.- ok now see the files with the .mov at the end change the name of
1, 2, 3.
6.- and your done
if you want to see the intro double click on 03.mov and I think thats
the intro (make sure you do it through windows explorer) and once
you've seen that start the game.
The game will automatically skip all the intro movies and you will go
directly to the main menu.
Hope it helped!! it did for me
Q: How come the Wurmbane spear is so expensive? Or, are spears useful?
A: You will find out the deadliness of spears when you fight boarmen and
their kin. Spears are very offensive weapon in the game as they have
long reach. Swords have shorter reach, and swords and spears are the
two major weapons in the game. Thus spears have an advantage, and
hence it is more expensive.
The Wurmbane Spear is very effective against the Hydra.
However, after the patch update, the most expensive weapon is
the Dragonslayer, which costs 10,000.
Q: What about the Ice Diamond Sword?
A: Bascially speaking, it is too a piece of jewellery...However, the
sword is reputed to give you a faster attack, so it is worth
the 8000 drachmas.
Q: Sometimes, people mistakes me for a class that I am not! How come?
A: This usually happens when Shakra calls you a "mighty wizard" when you
are a paladin with some magic (no matter how much, it seen). I have too
heard that if you have thieving abilities, you will also be asked to
commit some crimes as well, even when you are a paladin...
Q: Maximum Stats for each character class?
A: Unless stated, all characters will have 500 for their attributes and skills.
THE DRAGON FIRE'S LIST OF CANNOTS
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions in
the forum. And the answer is just a single sentence: "You cannot!"
You cannot marry Katrina if you ar a thief or paladin.
You cannot obtain a bow in the game without hexediting.
You cannot escape being posioned by the Assassin's dagger.
You cannot reach the Snoring Fishermen in anyway
You cannot reach the Floating Upside Down Castle in Erasmus' Abode
You cannot marry all four ladies at the same time (untested!)
You cannot marry the Queen of Atlantis
You cannot get Gort to move away from the Panel to the Secret Lab. He will go away by himself.
You cannot scarifice yourself while dragonslaying (well, you just try!)
You cannot cast Thermonuclear Blast anywhere and get anywhere with it.
You cannot prevent the breaking of the Dragon Pillars
You cannot change Gnome Ann's cook (heh...heh...heh)
You cannot eat while underwater
You cannot prevent Minos from dying.
FINDING YOUR WAY IN SILMARIA.
Silmaria can be a bit of confusion for the new beginners, so here is a map to help
----------------------------------- TOWN SQUARE
WEST GATE AREA --------------------------- DOCKS ----------- SCIENCE ISLAND
(the point where you can exit |
to the wilderness) |
WEST GATE AREA
- Ann's Land Inn (directly west of the gate)
- Adventurer's Guild
- ???? (something that the common are not supposed to know...)
- Here you will satifsy your shopping desires. All the things buyable in Silmaria are here.
- Talk to the food merchant for a detailed tour guide of Silmiara.
- Hall of the Kings
- Several prospective houses for the thief to rob
- Rakseeh's sunbathing place
- News Notice Board
- Entrance to Erasmus' Dwelling (kick the portal, or cast Trigger on it)
- The Dead Parrot Inn (open only in the evening). Go there to enter Arena combats or to bet.
- Famous Adventurer's School
- Andre's fishing boat
- The weaponsmith
- Swimming area (just click at the water near the docks....)
- A place to put your wildest dream to flight.
GENERAL TIPS AND HINTS
-- A general timeline for those who are lost --
For the newcomers to the QFG series, the stories that lead to the events in Silmaria maybe
a bit confusing. So, here is a simple timeline to briefly tell you what has been going on
in your hero's life. Used in conjuction with the section below, you will have a clear
understanding of the past.
But the most excellent way is this -- go get the past Quest for Glory games, and experience
the story fully for yourself!
- Your hero ventured into Spielburg Valley to become an offical hero.
- He freed the son and daughter of the Baron of Spielburg -- Barnard and Elsa.
- The Katta innkeeper there brought the hero to Shapeir. There at Shapeir, he met
Rakseeh and Uhura.
- The hero dispelled the elementals creating havoc at Shapeir, got rid of Ad Avis (the
- All this actions brought him the title "Prince of Shapier" and the Sultan made
the hero his foster-son.
- Your hero then travelled to Tarna to bring peace to the Liontaurs, Simbani and
- The hero had to defeat a demon wizard to end the madness in Tarna. And he did so,
As he was enjoying the victory with his friend, he was summoned away by dark magic.
- Your hero found himself in Mordavia. There, he met Erana in dreams, found out
Katrina was manipulating him to find the rituals to summon the Dark One, Avzool and
finally killed Ad Avis
- Your hero prevented the summoning of Avzool. But before that, Katrina died trying
to rescue your hero from Ad Avis' deadly spell.
- Then he was summoned to Silmaria by Erasmus, after a victory ceremony.
-- Who's Who in the Realm of QFG V --
This is an introduction to those who have not yet played the other quest for glory games and
find the introduction in the manual a bit lacking. So, here is the list of who's who in the
realm of Quest for Glory V, so you will understand why some characters talk to you _that_ way.
* The Archamge Erasmus
Funny and wacky, full of jokes and wits, Erasmus is the archmage that your hero met in
Spielburg. He contribute valuable information about your quest at that time, and even taught
you a spell, Dazzle. The rat familiar is his sidekick, and he is Fenrus.
* The Archmage Erana
Introduced to you by Zara (a magic user in Spielburg) , you never met her face to face till you
freed her soul from Azvool. She is a magic user of vast power, but chose to create places of
peace and serenity. You yourself has benefited from such places, for they proved to be safe
haven against the fierce monsters. During your adventures in Mordavia (Quest for Glory 4),you
offically fall in love with her (okay, there are some suggestions).
* The Dark Master, Katrina
A magical vampire, a wizardress of great power with a desire for darkness. It was she, during
your hero's venture in Mordavia, summoned Avzool, the Dark One and almost covered the
whole world with darkness.
She did have a liking for the hero, as she died trying to save him...
* Rakseeh, the Liontaur Paladin
Your mentor and guide, a paladin of great fame, Rakseeh will be your "Paladin Consultant"
if you are a paladin. He is a good source of information as well.
* Salim and Julnar
Julnar was a tree in Shapier. Salim was a healer that you met while in Tarna. To cut the
long story short, you brought Salim and Julnar together, and the rest of the story is told
in the game itself.
* Sam the Banker
Sam the Banker was once Sam the Beggar, in the alleyway of Spielburg town. How ironical, eh?
He is still begging for money.
She is someone you met, back at Shapier (or more correclty, Raseir). She was part of the
* The Cloaked Man
Let that be a...mystery for now.
The ex-brigand Leader of Spielburg, an excellent swordsman and thief (this is, when
there is still a brigand band in Speiburg...). All you need to know is that she was under a
curse and did not know which she was, until your hero came and dispel the curse on her. The
rest of the story is told when you talk to her.
Elsa's best friend.
-- A Word about Difficulty --
Just one sentence: Change it often.
And now for more explanation. A beginner is encouraged to drag the diffuclty setting
all the way down. Leaving it at the centre is a good challenge (a very good one) and
dragging it all the way up is nightmarish.
If you have beaten Dragon Fire several times, then trying play a new character
(that is, not imported).
If you find Dragon Fire too easy, challenge yourself by playing at the maximum
Difficulty. Here is what difficulty will affect (or seen to:)
* The toughness of combat, which include damage and hit points.
* The speed of your opponents completing a rite before you
-- Hints and Tips --
* When fighting, move about! Do not allow enemies to gang up on you. On higher
difficulty rating, the result can be bad.
* If you are fighter or paladin, and know magic, try this -- put your main weapon
in your belt. When you want to use magic, select the weapon quickly by pressing
the number assigned to it, then cast. Then quickly reselet your weapon again.
* Wizards can try some of these spell combo:
- Dazzle then Frostbite
- Zap then attack
- Whirlwind, Dazzle and Frostbite.
* The Dazzle spells can cause the enemy to be disoriented for a while after they
recovered from its effects. They may even attack their own allies by mistake!
* Frostbite is a deadly weapon. It attacks an area, so all opponents in the area
will be hit. For better effects, try casting more than one Frostbite spell at
one time. Be prepared with a lot of mana pills or potions.
* Zap is very effective. Use it or waste it.
* When fighting, click on an enemy to target it, and keep another finger
on the "D" button to defend yourself. It is much better trying to fight
with the keyboard.
* Keep a good stock of potions in your belt, as well as the Mystic Magnet. The
magnet can help you in case of a terrible monster coming after you.
* Concentrate your attacks on one target all the time.
* Flying monsters sometimes seen not to be affected by Dazzle.
* Note that at times, enemies can sidestep your missiles (even when Dazzled!)
Missile combat at time can be quite useless.
* Remember, fighting in Dragon Fire is not Diablo! Whenever an enemy strike you,
and you do not defend yourself, you will automatically be hit, no check rolls
* Perfect Protection Combination:
1. Cast Protection
2. Wear Armour
3. Use Honour Shield
* Some monsters (most notably these that use spears) have a two-strikes attack:
a jab at you with the spear, and then a swing of the spear at you. When facing
such enemies, do not let your guard down easy.
* Apparently, you can dodge attacks by pressing ALT and a cursor key. But it's hard
to do it if you have a hand on the mouse.
* Try shadow boxing if you have arcobatic. Remove all armour and weapon, and press
F and G to attack. Your Strength, Offense, Defense, Vitality, Agility and Luck
will go up!
* Cast protection before wearing any armour and such.
* Enemies' spells and arrows can hurt their own allies as well.
* More combat mayhem with spells. When a frostbite is cast, you can still defend and attack
while the frostbite is still attacking. So cast frostbite, and block!
HINTS FOR THE RITE
* Be prepared before joining in the Rites of Rulership! Train up, stock up on pills and
potions, and get rich! After getting rich, you can immediately buy the better weapons
and armour that you will need. But speaking of weapons and armour...
* After you enter the rite, you can buy better weapons at the weaponsmith.
* Use Mystic Magnets to speed up travelling speed. If you are at Science Island,
and wish to get to Town Square quickly, it's better to teleport back to the
Inn, then go to the Town Square. And time is important during the rites at
a higher difficulty.
* Here are some tips for the rites itself:
Freedom -- conquer all other villages before your own. This is to prevent
your rivals from freeding their villages first.
Conquest -- Complete the rite (that is, have Logos proclaimed you the winner)
at night. That way, you will get to the Fortress in a minimum
amount of time.
Valour -- you will sure bound to win. Gort is not taking part.
Destiny -- make sure you have collect the material that you needed (especially
the one from the Hydra's cave) before starting on this rite. You can
even considered getting some material ready before even starting the
Courage -- Gort is not going. Just make sure you know where to go first. Unless you
are tough, be prepared to bribe.
Peace -- Remember to save either Katrina or Erana! And be sure to expose the mastermind
behind some powerful sleeping pills...
Justice -- Use Awe if you are a Paladin.
* Of course, remember that the easier the game, the longer the time limit for each rite.
You need not to fear competition after Courage rite.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HINTS
* Here is a way to train up strength and vitality for non-arcobatic characters. Go to the
guild, excerise on the treadmill till your Stamina is dangerously low. Rest for 1 hour...
most of your Stamina will be restored. Continue.
* A ghost in the Dead Parrot Inn (upstair) will give you honour.
* Shadow Boxing helps to increase your Offense, Defense, Agility, Vitality and Strength.
Good deal, eh? To Shadow Box, removes all your armour. Press F to punch and G to
* Magic and Intelligence are the game's hardest stats to improve (last time, it was
Luck, but now it raises quite quickly). If your Wizard start off with 400 Magic,
you will find it very hard to raise it to 450.
* To increase Magic and Intelligence, use spells and drink Mana Potions often. Yes,
at times, refilling your Mana pool with Mana Potions increase Magic and Intelligence
* Don't bother about increasing the Swimming stat. Getting the amulet from either
Erana or Katrina is more important. But be sure to learn swimming!
* To improve your Sneaking skill, sneak at all times. (press K to toggle sneak mode)
* Practise throwing often if you know it. It's very handy at the last battle.
* Ways to increase Honour (some may not increase honour at times:)
- Buy the pirate a drink
- Touching the Ghost
- Liberate a village during the Rite of Freedom
- Completing a Rite
- Letting Elsa having the Hdyra Teeth
- Solving the thief's arm problem
- Solving the break-in at the Bank
- Completing various sub-quests (basically speaking) that have nothing
to do with crime.
- Tipping the Katta Musician
- Giving flowers/gifts to Nawar, Katrina and Erana (always work?)
- Telling Julnar about Andre
* Do not be bothered with the items in the weaponsmith's shop:
- arrows (you do not have a bow to use it)
- armour (you can get it from monsters)
- Magic Helm (you will eventually find one)
- Shield (you can get one from any Invaders, and a better one from the General)
- Sword (didn't a fighter start with one?)
Of course, if you have the money, why not buy them?
* You can teach Shakra magic spells on the second day you talk to him. Each spell
you teach him is worth 200 gold.
* Here is a way to stock up on stamina and healing pills. The dragon pillar north-east of the
city will always has the same monster there, even after you have killed them. Go back
there always, within the same day, if the monsters there are Goons or Boarmen. Goons
give healing pills, boarmen give stamina pills.
* Running, sneaking and swimming consume Stamina. Eating restores Stamina. How much
you carried will also determine your Stamina drain.
* Show clues to everyone in town.
* Apparently, the guard in the tower (the one who always raise the gate) can be
alerted if it is needed.
* It is possible to swim at the docks. Just click at the water.
* Heed the Orcale if you wish to defeat the Dragon.
* The FACS is a place full of information. Be sure to go there and do some reading!
That place holds complete clue to 3 (yes, a soild three) rites, and the FA himself
can aid you on one rite too!
* Figure out how to cast Zap on a weapon? Same as combing items. First, place the Zap spell
in your belt. Second, select a weapon. Lastly, drag the Zap spell to the displayed weapon.
* Whenever you completed a rite, show the item required to the guard outside the Hall of Kings.
* For the 1st week, it is very obivious who will win at the arena.
* Watch your weight! At higher difficulty setting, moving with a full load is dangerous to your
health! Here are some tips to reduce weight -- sell extra weapons to the Weaponsmith,
deposit your money at the bank and store things that you have no use for in the chest.
* Stock up on Mana potions and pills! When Shakra fell sick, you will not have an easy
access to the Mana restoration items.
HINTS ON GETTING MARRIED
* Erana. Be kind to her and others. Be faithful and treat her well. She has a weakness for
a type of snack. Give something that is related to her hobby as well.
* Katrina. Same as Erana, but though you have to try different objects. And try to
increase her sense of security.
* Nawar. Be kind to her and flirt with her often. Also, you can find her on the balacony of
one of the house at Nob's Hill around midnight. Try to get up there and talk to her,
and do what she wants. You will need thief's skills to get her.
* Elsa. Let she has her way. Like all woman, she has a weakness for jewellery, but being
a figher, she won't fall for any common trinkets.
THE WIZARD'S GUDIE TO COMBAT
Gone are the days when mages are stay-away and wizards are puny wielder of weapons. A
fighting wizard is a danger to reckon with. The spells that a wizard can wield is
as powerful, if not more powerful, than the weapons of a fighter.
This guide's purpose is to aid wizard in their career as a fighting magic user. There is
another guide for warrior who knows magic too (the Warrior-Mage's Guide to Combat) and
soon there will be too a Shadow Spellcaster's Guide to Combat (for Thieves).
Below is the recommended equipment for a wizard class character. The aim is to boost
the magic user's magic as high as possible, so that his spells will achieve its best
Weapon: Slasher Dagger, Wizard's Staff, Shield (!?)
The Slasher Dagger is the best dagger weapon in the game and allows the wizard to
cast spells at the same time too. The Wizard's Staff, though by itself is a
weak weapon, is extremely powerful when zapped.
If you intends to attack by using spells only, considering wearing a shield too.
Your Magic skill may be reduced, but at least you have a higher protection (and
parrying with a shield is better than parrying with a weapon or staff).
Armour: Leather Armour, Magic Leather Armour
Amulet of Choice: Amulet of Defense, Magic Bracelet
If you are a starting mage (not imported from previous Quest for Glory games), then
it is recommended that you put on the Amulet of Defense first, so that you will
last longer in combat. Magic Bracelet can be used to boost your spell power.
Armour and Helms are not recommended. Why? Shields will already deduct 60 points from
your Magic, Armour (Chain Mail) will deduct another 60 points and Helm (of any type)
II. RECOMMENDED SPELLS IN BELT
Induce Electricity: ZAP
Though Zap seens to be a minor spell, it is extremely useful and potent. When brought
up to full skill, it can cause a lot of damage. Extremely powerful when combined with
a Wizard's Staff. (I managed to kill a Goon around normal difficulty by hitting it
twice with a zapped staff).
Blizzard in Summer: FROSTBITE
Frostbite is a powerful area attack spell, attacks multipe opponents and give them
a lesser chance of avoiding being damaged. You can cast multipe frostbites at the
same time, doing massive damage. One of its pro as an area attack spell is that
it will never hurt you at all.
Touch Me Not: PROTECTION
Protection is like giving your wizard a suit of armour...or if you already have on,
another suit of armour on top of the one you already are wearing.
Massive Confusion: DAZZLE
Erasmus' handy spell is very useful in Dragon Fire when compared to other games. It
stuns your opponents, freezing them. After that, it causes them to be dis-oriented,
and may even attack themselves.
Mystical Hand Grenade: BOOM
Though intended as a mine trap spell, Boom can be used as a sort of hand grenade too.
Just aim it at a group of monsters, and sees it goes off!
III. SPELLS GUIDE
Below is a list of other spells that are useful in combat too. For a starting wizard,
Firebolt and Forcebolt are recommended than Frostbite. Unless you have a lot of Mana
Pills stocked up.
Fiery Death: FLAME DART
Your loyal companion since Quest for Glory 1, Flame Dart ceased to be
your only offensive spells in this game. Flame Dart is cheap and it is
good. Be using it often, I tell you!
Forceful Spell: FORCE BOLT
Force Bolt packs more punch that Flame Dart. And has a neat effect of
rebounding off surfaces.
Electrical Mayhem: LIGHTNING BALL
A burst of eletrical energy that does quite a wallop of damage. But constant
use of Flame Dart acheive the same effect too.
Electrical Energy Blast: LIGHTNING BOLT
"Huh? Lightning Bolt?" you may be saying. Well, when you cast Lightning Ball
with a Wizard's staff, a bolt of lightning will fly forth instead. It cause
area damage. Be careful, for it you cast it too near you, it will harm you too.
Twister! : WHIRLWIND
In my years of casting spells against violent enemies, Whirlwind gives your
opponents some violent spinning, and that's all. Better use Dazzle, I am
telling you. However, Whirlwind is more effectively at trapping flying
creatures than Dazzle.
Nuke 'em : THERMONUCLEAR BLAST
It will be the last spell that you will be casting, mark my word.
IV. USING DRAGON FIRE
Dragon Fire is such a powerful and beastly spell that it deserves a seperate section
of it own.
Dragon Fire, an ultimate spell, can be gained from Katrina if you visit her straight
after you save her from Hades. Dragon Fire is indeed powerful. One casting can drain
500 Health Points in seconds when casted with a Magic of more than 450 (yes, it is
Use Dragon Fire when you are in a large area, and you can see enemies who are far away
from you. As Dragon Fire can attack anyone from anywhere, you just have to target
the spell at your opponent, and they will be fryed to death.
Never cast Dragon Fire by pressing the number corresponding to it if it is in
your belt. You will only hurt yourself.
It is recommended that you Dazzle your enemies first before launching Dragon Fire
on them. Somehow, Whirlwinds work better with Dragon Fire.
VI. Techniques and Methods
Here are some techniques that shall be mastered by all aspiring combat wizards:
Drag the spell into the belt. When you want to aim the spell, click it and _drag_ it out
into the battle screen. Click at the area where you want to fire the spell at.
DEFEND AND CAST
While casting a spell, press "D" to defend yourself. And proceed to aim and activitates
a spell. You will notice that you will be effectively defending yourself when launching
off that spell.
And now for some methods of combat.
DAZZLE AND HACK
Dazzle is a very useful spell (too useful, some may say). When you cast it, you can
gain a number of free blows and spellcasting at your opponents without them taking
any actions or not.
If you complain that this method turn combat into just "dazzle and slash", then
discipline yourself not to use it then.
BLOCK AND CAST
Use the DEFEND AND CAST technqiue against any Roman Invaders who fires arrow at
you. You will be able to block their arrows while they are not able to block
This method works great in close combat as well. Just case Frostbite and
contiune to defend. The frostbite will do the damage while you block.
FROSTBITE AND FLAME DART
You can effectively cast any spell after you cast Frostbite, thus you will
be able to cast Frostbite, and while it is still in effect, cast Force Bolt,
Flame Dart of Lightning Ball at the same time.
ZAP AND SLASH
Zap is a spell that shall be used. Zap and attacks your opponent. It takes
a short time to zap it (you can zap your weapon while defending) and it can
causes great damage.
LONG DISTANCE SPELL ATTACKS
Spells in Dragon Fire is not limited by a fix range -- basically what you can
see, you can attack with spells -- as long as there is nothing to block
In clear open area, standard attacking spells (Flame Dart, Lightining Bolt and
Force Bolt) can be used. But Boom is recommended (area-damage). Frostbite cannot
be used as its range is relatively shot. Lightining Bolt is recommended too.
In area with a lot of obstacles, Dragon Fire is the best choice (in open areas)
MAGIC USER WITH SHIELD
If you feel that a starting wizard which has not been trained up with previous
adventures are too weak, try equipping them with a shield too. Then use the
BLOCK AND CAST method to defend and attack at the same time.
It is my hope that this guide will serve to make your wizard games more exciting in
combat. Good luck earning the throne!
THE WARRIOR-MAGE GUIDE TO COMBAT
Warrior-Mages are paladins or fighters with the spellcasting ability. At times, considering
the limitations that armour, shields and helms impose on magic and that to cast magic
you can only equip a dagger, it seen almost hard to develop a fighter and spellcasting
form of attack. Well, it is possible.
Weapon: Slasher Dagger, None
One thing that an aspiring fighter-mage has to constantly do is to switch weapons. One
can place two weapons on the belt -- one large weapon and one dagger. When casting
a spell, first switch to the dagger (by pressing the number corresponding to it) and
cast the spell, then switching back to the main weapon.
Armour: Magic Leather Armour, Magic Chain Mail
Increased Defense, or Increased Magical Offense? A tough call here.
Jewelery: Braclet of Magic, Amulet of Defense
Consider your character's make up and decide which is the best. If you want to use
the Magic Chain Mail, then the Bracelet is recommended. Otherwise, keep to the
Amulet of Defense.
Shield: None, or General's Shield
Again, it is your call -- a warrior-mage using spells only when needed, or using
magic at most times?
II. RECOMMENDED SPELLS IN BELT
A fighter-mage's main method of destruction is through phyiscal force, and since
they are blessed with high strength (550), make full use of their phyiscal attacks.
Magic can be used in dire times, or when there is an overpowering group of foes.
Below, are some spells that are recommended to be keep in the belt. This section
shall be read in conjuction with the Wizard's Guide to Combat too.
Massive Confusion -- DAZZLE
Stun your enemies first then hack at them with your main weapon.
Touch me Not -- PROTECTION
There is always no such thing as too much protection.
Blizzard and Steel -- FROSTBITE
You can cast Frostbite and attack your enemies at same time, thusing causing physical
damage and magic damage at the same time.
Induce Electricity -- ZAP
As always, extra damage is welcomed. Note that you can zap a whole bunch of throwing
daggers or spears and do massive damage by throwing them too.
As Fighter-mages are recommended to keep two weapons in their belt, they not have much
room for other spells. (I always use the last 3 slots of the belts for stamina, healing and
For more spell-tips, refer to the Wizard's Guide to Combat
III. COMBINING PALADIN ABILITIES WITH MAGIC
Some Paladin's abilities and magic works hand-in-hand together to make your warrior-mage
MAGIC WARD AND BOOM
Magic ward protects your Paladin from magic-based damage, deducting the damage from
Stamina. You can cast Magic Ward and use Boom liberally without worrying too much
about your Health.
IV. WARRIOR MAGES TECHNIQUES AND METHODS
Instead of repeating many techniques for spell-casters here, only additions will
Switch to a weapon that allows you to cast spell (or un-equip the one that you are
using), and after switching the weapon, cast the spell. If you have a shield,
defend, switch weapon and cast spell and switch back.
Spells recommended casting for a more "fighting" warrior-mage:
ZAP -- increase damage done.
PROTECTION -- halves damage. Great protection!
FROSTBITE -- causes magic damage while attacking
Be familarise with your warrior-mage, and you will be able to use your arcane powers
2. A GUIDE TO WINNING THE GAME
Where to find this?
Walkthrough for each rite
Walkthrough for each quest
Where to find this?
Some of the most common questions (and frustrations about the game) are about the items.
In this section, you will find list of items, and where to find them.
Items Where to find it
Anchoives From Andre. Talk to him on the 2nd day you meet him
Pepper for Pizza Salim's place. It is hanging on the wall.
Beeswax At a certain dragon pillar north from the city. On the floor
Sarra's Basket Wander about the beaches north of Naxos.
Sigil of Naxos In a chest inside a locked room.
Drugged Chocolate From Erasmus' place. You will eventually recieve one in your room.
Magic Seeds Say Goodbye to Julnar often after Shakra and Erasmus are drugged.
Black Lotus The purple floating flower at the Oracle
Rope Hydra's Cave
Sap From an oozing tree at the Hydra. Use an urn to collect it.
Sheet A drawer in your own bedroom
Feathers Pegaus Nest. See Sub Quest for more details
Hipprocene Water The stream flowing through the area of Pegaus Nest
Water Breathing Amulet From Erana or Katrina.
Flowers Outside Salim's shop. Near the windows
Braizer Show balloon picture to the food seller
Shell At a dragon pillar near the beaches (north from Silmaria)
Grapnel Talk to Rakseeh as soon as possible
Magic Wood Give Hipprocene Water to the Dryads. All of them. (Wizard only)
Augment Spell From any Centuar Wizard
Dragon Fire From Katrina. Go to her straight from Hades (wizard only)
First Aid From Erana. Go to her straight from Hades
Whirlwind Erasmus. On your third visit to him. Go before the robbery
Thermonuclear Blast Only as a wizard. From the FA after giving him the water.
Mystic Magnets Shakra's magic shop
Ann's Deed Give Peace Statue from Rite Peace to Ferrai
Lethe Water See Walkthrough -- Rite of Courage
Styx Water See Walkthrough -- Rite of Courage
King's ring Talk to the guards outside the Hall after knowing about the Ring.
Wing Hanging on the wall inside at the Science Island
Hydra's Teeth Click on its head after defeating it.
Rock On the seashore, or the area around the Blacksmith
Minotaur Axe From the Minotaur in Minos' treasure room.
Posioned Dagger After killing the assassin and on Minos Body
Torch Thief's guild
Pickpocket knife Thief's guild
Magic Helm From FA (as fighter/paladin) or in Hydra's Cave
Stealth Amulet From FA. Give him the hipprocene water (for Thief only)
Bow You won't get one in the game...
Swimming Manual From FA. Search the books at the bottom of the screen.
Amulet of Defense From one of the villahe or from Minos
Amulet of Offense From one of the village or from Minos
Next, we have the what what-you-can-find-on-monster's equipment chart:
Monster What can you get?
Trition Trident, Mana Potions/Pills
Goon* Money, Healing Pills OR stamina pills
Boarman Spearhead, money, stamina pills
Cougarman Money, spearhead, spear, chainmail
Bearman Money, spearhead, spear, leather armour
Grizzlymen* Money, spearhead, spear
Weridling Health or Vitaltiy potions, magical armour, money
Granglers Health Potion or Vitality potions, money
Centuar Wizard Augment Scroll, Magic Dagger, money
Invader Arrows, Sword, Shield, Money
Flying creatures Nothing
Invader Sword, shield, arrows, money
*There are two varities of Goons. The tougher ones give stamina pills...
Grizzlymen is an "upgraded" version of the bearman.
Note: The items shown are what you _may_ get from these monsters.
WALKTHROUGH FOR EACH RITE
Here we are, the walkthroughs for the rites. Note that there are many ways of doing things --
I often play as a Magic User or a Paladin, so my tactics are often combat oriented. I haven't
experience thief firsthand, but know a lot of advices for them, so all is not lost.
-- Before the Rite
Here is my way of doing things. Of course, there are many others as well...
Before the rite, be sure to train up. You will have no time for that when the rites start
(unless you have turn the difficulty really all the way down). Of course, do not try to
max out your character. Try to max your attributes during the rites. Just bring everything
above 400. Concentrate on your main skills.
I usually spend 10 to 15 days preparing my hero. Here is what I do:
* Stock up on potions and pills. You will need them.
* Get Pegaus Feathers and Beeswax
* Get Ballon Picture and Sewn Sheet
* Get a Magic Helm (or Thermonuclear Blast) from FA
* Stock up on many Healing and Stamina pills.
* Stock up on Mana pills and potions (espcially if you are a wizard)
* Get Sarra's basket and do many honourable deeds (useful for a paladin only)
* Collect a large sum of money
* Solve the robbery at the bank
When you feel you are ready to take on about a legion of romans, begin the rite by going to
the bank, and contribute 1000 gold to start the rite.
-- The Rite of Freedom
I highly recommended you to free ALL the villages for this rite. You will a lot of cool stuff.
By the end of all this bloody business, you will be richer, more respected, have a magical
chainmail armour, an altas' braclet, an amulet of offense, an anmulet of defense and
a magicial axe.
If you discover one of your opponent village is empty, then it means that you have lose it
to whoever is your rival. Do not despair -- freed other villages. This will earn you a tie.
When you try to free a village, hunt for a locked room. This room may be inside a building,
so you have to enter it by going through another room first. When you enter the locked room,
dispatch the enemies, and open the chest (keep a lookout for it). When you done this, you
have won the rite.
If you feel you need time to relax, do not give the sigil to the guard outside the Hall of
the Kings (only if you have freed ALL the villages, or if you don't mind for a tie). Do what
you want first, then give the sigil.
During this rite, a lot of good weapons appear at the Weaponsmith. This is the time where
you can get rid of extra looted weapons, and spend your well-earned cash on some great
* Cast Dazzle always, if you have it.
* Ignore the enemies, and go for the doors! The room that you are looking for is always
in a large building.
* If you are a thief, try sneaking and blackjacking the guards.
* Rest for an hour if your Stamina is too low.
* To save time, use pills instead of resting.
* Exit a room quickly if you discover that it is not the one you want.
If you wish to free all the other villages, do not free your own village first!
Why? Well, no one else will try to free the village assigned to you. But, if
you freed other villages first, your opponents will have no chance to freed them!
So, keep your own village to the last.
-- The Rite of Conquest
Embark on this rite immediately after completing the first rite (i.e, proclaimed as the
winner). Try to win the first rite as late as possible, so that on the next day, you
can immediately approach Andre and ask him to take you for a boat ride.
The island you are looking for is south to the main island. Andre will speak once you
approach it. It is quite small, and is not listed on the map. Just try "parking" the boat
onto every island and you will eventually stumble upon it.
Now the conquest starts. Paladins and fighters can hack their way into this. Magic Users
can do that as well, excpet that they will spell their way in there. Theives will have to
prevent the sounding of the alarm.
Recommended Strategy for Fighters and Paladins
1. Hack and Slash, what else is there to say? It is a mass slugfest
2. Avoid the guards entirely at the beach. Head straight upstairs and for the gates.
3. If there is a lack of spear, there are many on the cart in the courtyard
4. When you kill the Centuar wizard, the general will appear. To get rid of the centuar
wizard the fighting way, dash straight at him and hack him! Paladin has a slight
(or greater?) advantage here, as he can use Magic Ward.
5. When the General come out, take care of him and take his shield. Rite completed.
After killing the General, you can spend your days relaxing or training, for
no doubt you are already the winner of this rite.
Recommended Strategy for Wizards
1. If you hate close combat, Dazzle your way in to the courtyard.
2. In the courtyard, Dazzle, then cast Frostbite. Be sure to have mana pills handy!
3. Against the Centuar Wizard, cast Reversal and hurl spells at him. When he use Magic
Ward, stab him! Having Resistance helps, and the Wizard can be dazzled too.
4. If you are lazy, you can cast trigger on the Centuar Wizard. You will lose the chance to
own a magic dagger and the augument spell then.
5. When the general come out, dazzle him, and freezes him to death with frostbite. Take shield,
rite completed. Store the shield in the chest later -- you have no use for it (as you can't
sell it as well).
Recommended Strategy for Thieves
1. Make sure you stock up on many healing and stamina pills.
2. At the start, sneak and blackjack the guards at the beach,
3. Climb up the rock to a drain like structure. Go into the drain.
4. Sneak and blackjack all the guards. If you managed to do that to the Wizard,
the general will appear
For Thief/mages -- I have been alerted that you can cast Dazzle then blackjack
whoever you want to knock out...
5. When the general appear, sneak all the way away from him. The general will just remain
there, apparently confused. Sneak and blackjack him.
6. Of course, if something goes wrong, prepare your dagger for a fight.
(note: gleamed from Ack's walkthrough)
--- The Rite of Valour
You have to get to the Hydra's island for this one. Make sure you have at least one urn
left. To get to the Island, make sure you have the wax and the feathers (refered to the
section above to find out where).
First, make a trip to the FACS. Find the book about mythology of Greece, and read it up.
Make sure you read the part about how Hercules defeated the Hydra.
Go to the Science Island. If you have not figured out how, please refer to the Sub Quests.
Go into the room. See the wooden wing on the wall. Apply the wax on the wing, then apply the
feathers on it. Finally, click on the wing and you will fly!
Try to do this at night. However it doesn't matter. You will get to Hydra's island. Approach
the Hydra, as if you are going to fight it. After a while, Elsa will arrive to help. Accept her
You can try defeating the Hydra without Elsa's help, but since I never did it myself,
there's nothing I can say...
After accpeting her help, talk to her and tell her about defeatig Hydra.
Now this where the tough part comes in...
Recommended Strategy for Fighters and Paladins
1. Elsa will decide to burn the Hydra's head while you are given the task of chopping it off.
To chop off the left head, run up the left-hand side path. Same for the right head.
For the centre head, just walk straight up.
2. I recommended that you chop of the left and the right heads before confronting the center.
3. As you chop of the heads, Elsa will take care of the rest.
Recommended Strategy for Wizards
1. Easy life here. Elsa will decide to chop of the Hydra's head. All you have to do is
to cast flame dart repeatedly at the head as it is about to die. You will eventually
set the neck to fire, and prevent the wounds from regenerating.
Recommended Strategy for Thieves
1. Light the torch and readied it.
2. Your task will be quite dangerous, compared to the wizard (unless you have access to
flame dart as well...). When Elsa chops of a head, attack with the torch.
After the fight, click on the Hydra's head to claim the Hydra's scales and teeth. If you
are a fighter and want to marry Elsa, give the teeth to her and let she has the victory.
Elsa will be a bit unhappy if you do not give her the teeth. Just talk to her and suggest
a search for treasure. Then walk into the cave behind the hydra's body. There Elsa will
find what she want.
Walk all the way to the left. Notice a chest there? It's trapped. But open it you must,
or else you won't complete the next rite. How to open it? It's up to you.
Oh yes, before leaving, be sure to fill an urn with the sap from the tree. How to leave?
Didn't you pay 100 gold for something?
--- The Rite of Destiny
This time you will need to construct a balloon. You shall have the sewn sheet, sap and
braizer ready. From the chest in the Hydra's cave, you will find the rope.
Show the balloon picture to Ann, then give the sheet to her. By next day, you will have
a sewn sheet. Be sure to do this before starting this rite.
Show the picture to the food seller, and you will be able to buy a braizer from him.
After completing the 3rd rite, head straight to Science Island. Go to the Crane Area. See
a flashing green monitor there? Click on it, and enter this combination: 100, 50, closed.
The crane will fetch the gondla from the water and placed it on the platform. Now, apply
the sewn sheet on it, then the rope, sap and lastly the briazer. Click on your tinderbox,
and apply it on the balloon. Now it will fly!
Consult the map to find Delos. Once you land, and find the Oracle, pick up the purple flower
floating on the water. Click on the stone surrounding the pool for the key for another rite.
Now, toss a coin into the pool. The oracle will start. Get the Proof of Destiny, and go back
to the balloon.
If you find travelling by the balloon is too slow, at least land at the Main Island, then use
the Mystic Magnet. You will need the balloon for a later quest! (and it is always available,
unlike Andre's boat).
--- The Rite of Courage
One tough rite, this. Getting into Hades is easy, but navigating inside there is really like
hell (well, what you expect from Hades, anyway?). Be sure to have 3 urns with you.
Go to the Dragon Pillar with the skull face on it. Look at the water. If it is fouled and
dirty, you find the right one. Fill an urn with it. Then follow the stream all the way to the
left, till it enters the ground in a small cave/crack. Pour the dirty water into the stream
there. The gateway to Hades will open.
Try going in, and a large three-headed guard dog will appear. It's Cerebus, immortal guardian
of the gateway to Hades.
Here are some hints to get in...these heads are greedy. If you think you can best Hercules,
let them taste steel...
Once you get in, you better start running and hope that your supply of pills will last. The
undeads there will be reducing your stamina and health, so run! Paladin can use destroy
undead, while wizard will have the aura spell. Wizards (or spellcasters) shall be
casting Aura, Reseveral and Resistance often. It must be noted that Resistance does not
blocks all the damage done by spells, so Reversal helps.
As you enter Hades, run all the way to the right, till you come to a dead end, with a path
undereath you. Use a spell to float there, if you are a wizard. Thieves can climb down with
a rope. If you are a paladin or a fighter, try double clicking on the path below to jump --
make sure you are at full health and stamina!
Now follow the path all the way to the exit. You will find yourself at the skeleton of a
dragon. Go all the way down. Now this is where things get tricky. You will enter
another screen, right? Here is a map:
|----------------------- option of saving Erana/
To the Dragon Skeleton -------------|
------- Lethe Water ------------- Styx Water
There is a small path to the lower right hand corner of the screen (which means the side
closest to you). It may look like a dead end, but force your way through. It is best
if you use the keyboard to move rather than the mouse now.
The whirlpool water is the Lethe water. Fill an urn with it.
The calm water, just behind the whirlpool, is the Styx water. Fill an urn with it. This is
the water to prove that you have won the rite.
If you are a paladin, dip the king's ring into the Styx water. You have furfill the water
of binding part.
Having done all this, return to the intersection, and run up the upper right hand path. Keep
running straight till you reach a palace like building. A ghasty character will then tell
you about Erana and Katrina. Choose one, or you will never win the Rite of Peace.
Be prepared to give up your life (hey, you are a hero, right?) Don't worry. The aftermaths
is that you will lose about half of your Vitality.
Now get out of Hades -- return the way you came. Just go through all the stone archways, and
you will be out!
Head straight to either Erana or Katrina to talk to them. You may recieve an interesting spell
if you know magic. You can stop mid way at Silmaira to stock up on goodies to please your
--- The Rite of Peace
Before this Rite, or during the rite, visit the FA and find a handbook about
swimming. It is on the table closet to the screen (which means at the
extreme bottom of the screen). Use the eyes to look around at the books.
Locate the manual, take it and use it on your hero. You will have a swimming
skill of 100.
After recieving instructions about this rite, head straight to the Science Island.
You will discover that Gort is not guarding the panel anymore. Take the Scientist Aptitude
Test, pass it and recieve the password. Key in the password at the panel, and the
secret lab will open.
Talk to the Scientist -- be sure to covered all topics, then go. Gort will be offically out
of the rites later.
Go to the Famous Adventurer, and talk to him, covering all topics.
Now, go to Erana or Katrina (depending on who you have saved), and talk to them. You
will recieve an amulet of water breathing. Put it on, and you will be able to breath
Hop onto your balloon. Altantis is all the way to the west of the main island. You will be
able to see it on the map. Land at the island, and walk into it. The island is the one
with a crater lake at the centre.
When you enter the ocean, you will see a golden gate. Click on it, use force on it if you
are a fighter/paladin. You can also cast open on it.
This is where the thieves lose out, I suppose, for I don't have the faintest idea of how
to approach this stealth like. Good luck figuring out on your own!
Now, for wizard and fighters, it is just hack and cast, I suppose. Paladins have another
alternative -- Awe. It shall be possible now. All you have to do is just to fight an
oversized fish at the end, if you awe all the others away.
Talk to the Queen, and give her flowers. Then tell her about Silvertongue. There, a treaty
is signed and peace has returned. You will have a Peace Statue, as proof of your victory.
After this victory, relax! I doubt Elsa will be able to forge another treaty. Gort will be
out of the rites.
Even if you don't have flowers, you can still claim a treaty, but you will not have done
the deed of giving the Queen flowers.
--- The Rite of Justice
This one is really simple...in a sense. Be sure to give Salim the black lotus back then,
and to collect the improved posion pills from him. Now, to start the endgame (yeah, the one
with the terrible dragon and such), wander about the bridge in the West Gate area at night.
To find the Assassin, just go to the Gnome Ann's Inn from the Dead Parrot Inn by
exiting the dock area by the west archway.
The assassin will be there waiting with his posioned dagger. Get rid of him! Toro will help
you once the battle is over.
No matter how valiantly you fight, you will end up being posioned by the assassin's dagger.
However, if you are struck at anytime by the dagger, eat the posion cure pill instantly!
Now you have to prove Minos guilty. There are many ways of doing that, and pick the one that
sounds the most sensible. The ring of truth can help.
Also, try sleeping at your bedroom. Elsa will contact you too.
--- Raid on Minos Palace
Once Minos is exposed, you will be transported to his palace. Shout your battlecries and
Of course, theives can assume a more stealth like way, but I do not really know how...sorry.
Paladin can awe everyone away. Dazzle will work for Wizard as well.
When you get into the front room, there is only one more room that you can enter. Enter it,
and you will find Minos. After a boring speech, a minotaur (like Toro) will attack you.
You can awe the other guards (Goons) away, but the minotaur will stay.
If you are a Wizard, then you can cast Dragon Fire at the doors as the Goons enter...
Kill it, and watch Minos died. Now, do this as fast as possible:
1) Click on Minos and loot his body
2) Click on the minotaur and take the axe
3) Elsa will mention about something. Look at it
4) Disarm the trap by either using Magic Ward (as Paladin), a Fireproofing Potion
(Fighter), Trigger (Wizard) or pure disarm skill (Thief)
5) Take all the potions.
--- "By the grace of goodness, I summon you to darkest battle...."
Now, Erana/Katrina will appear, and teleport you to the final battle -- dragon slaying.
However, the final part of the game is too the most cruical. Everything else is
incidentary. Here is the incedenary!
___THE DRAGONSLAYER'S HANDY GUIDE___
Killing Dragons are never fun. This is not a painless guide to killing dragon,
but it is sure handly.
Now, in Dragon Fire, you must understand no hero is an island by himself. At the
last battle, you will have several friends to protect and for you to abuse.
Here are the steps to the final victory:
Sometimes, when playing as a certain character class, Gort and Toro will not
automatically appear (It happens once when I am a Wizard with Katrina). If
that happens, immediately clicks on the spellcaster lady (Erana and Katrina)
and ask about (or talk about?) reinforcements.
_"Fix first the pillar, lest the dragon fly free!"_
Order Gort and Toro to help you to fix the pillar. Then you shall also help
too. Cast Holy Strength to improve your muscles power if you are a paladin.
_Preventing "Last Potion"_
Ready some Health Potions in your belt and give some to Toro and Gort. It will
ensure their survival. Also, if Erana is around, you can click on her to request
her to heal others. If you know First Aid, or are a Paladin, put the Healing
spell in his belt and be prepared to use it.
_"If it's weapon, you look who to look for"_
Good old Pholous would not be here to provide the weapons needed, so you need
to bring your own!
Give Elsa -- Dragonslayer Sword
Gort -- anything else you can spare*
Toro -- minotaur axe (just savaged from Minos' version of Toro)
*It seem that Gort does not want a weapon, whatever some may says...
_Protection from Fire_
Use Fireproofing Potion liberally. It helps and gains puzzle points.
_"Only Death can defeat the Dragon..."_
Or so the Sibyl claimed, but I will say "Such poppycock!" No one has to
die in this final battle. However, if you choose to scarifice yourself,
Gort will do it instead. Erana, if she's around, will be happy to do it
_Methods of Dragonslaying_
Paladins shall uses the sword that reflect their honour and glory.
Fighters, resort to your wicked Dragonslayer!
Wizards, freeze the Dragon's fury with Frostbite! Refer to the Spellcaster's
Guide to Combat for more hints!
Thieves, thy posioned daggers shall be used now.
Other recommended weapons:
Dragon Fire (aim carefully!)
*It seen that only Katrina's Dragon Fire (which shoots blue flame) can hurt the Dragon.
Also, Paladin shall use Holy Strength and Wizard shall be lavish with
_Avoiding..."The Cavern is going to collaspe!"_
After fixing the pillar, give the weapons to your friends, then the
healing potions. Then your next goal is to reduce the Dragon's health
Then he will soar up into the sky. Force him down with spells, zapped daggers
or spears. Katrina will be helpful then...she knows Frostbite and Dragon Fire!
Bascially, your precious stock of potions and pills are going to be put in good
use, so be generous in using them!
Under such heroic onslaught, any dragon would find his match. Soon, the dragon
will be felled, and that will be the conclusion of...Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire
1. You will see a sort of seesaw at the base of the cliff.
2. Go onto it, and toss a spear/rock at the boulder.
(finding rocks are another tricky matter. Trying looking for them
at seashores or around the smithy.)
3. You will be thrown up on another cliff.
4. Click on the vine to climb to the nest.
5. Click on the white stuff. You character will move and get the feather.
6. Click the feather on yourself. You will be able to get down.
1. Walk close to the cliff and cast leviate
2. Click on the white stuff on the nest to get the feathers.
3. Walk to the other side of the cliff and cast the spell again.
1. You will need to find the granple and rope, and combined them together.
2. Use the rope to climb up the cliff.
THE RING OF TRUTH (Paladin Only)
1. Talk to Rakseeh right after talking to Logos for the first time
2. Ask Rakseeh about truth. He will tell you about the ring of truth.
3. Go to the guards outside the hall, and tell the what Rakseeh has told you.
4. You will be given a ring.
5. When you are injuried, use the ring on yourself.
6. Head to the Dragon Temple, and dip the ring into the lava. Do it before day 15.
7. During the Rite of Courage, dip the ring into the Styx water.
8. The ring of truth is done.
1. Go to the bank when it is robbed. Click on the thief's kit on the floor to have it
2. Show the kit to Erasmus.
3. At night, go to the Dead Parrot Inn. Follow the one-armed guy out
4. Watch what he did, then attempt to do the same thing. But first, remember to disarm the
5. Go into the Guild, and accuse the guy of the robbery.
6. To make him confess, either tell him about yourself, or talk about Erasmus.
RESTORING THE ROBBER'S ARM (Paladin Only)
1. After the robber is captured, go talk to him at the Jail.
2. Make sure he mentioned the arm. Next, go the Julnar and tell her about it
3. Let a day pass. Return to the Jail and talk to the Robber.
1. Talk to Andre often (after the 1st rite and so on) till he tells you
about his wishes to be a healer.
2. Go to Julnuar and tell her about Andre
3. Return to Andre and let him thanks you.
BEAUTIFYING GNOME ANN'S INN
1. During the Rite of Destiny, after Ann has sewn the sheet, talk to
her and tell her about Wolfie.
2. Wolfie will get the inn painted.
3. Give the magic seeds to Gnome Ann
4. Next, refer to GETTING ANN'S INN DEED
GETTING TO SCIENCE ISLAND
AND PLEASING THE SCIENTISTS
1. Buy the two types of pizza from the food seller
2. Get anchoives from Andre. Get pepper from Salim's shop. It's on the wall.
3. Combine the anchoives with the artichoke pizza.
4. Combine the pepperioni pizza with the pepper.
5. Get a spear from the weaponsmith.
6. Go to the Wind Mill. Use force on the braking lever. It will snap
7. Use the spear to replace the lever. Follow instructions.
8. Push the lever to brake. It will require some timing.
9. After getting into the gondla, use forcebolt, or throw something at it
to make it move back, so that the gondla will start to move.
10. On Science Island itself, click on the green flicking screen.
11. Take the test. Answer 5 straight questions, and you are in.
12. If it is in the day, give the scientist the A&A pizza.
13. If it is in the night, give the scientist the P&J pizza.
1. Give FA an urn filled with water from the stream at the Peguas Nest
GETTING ANN'S INN DEED
1. After winning the Rite of Peace, and obtaining the Peace Statue, go to
the Dead parrot inn to find Ferrai.
2. Give him the statue to trade for the deed. Give the deed to Ann.
3. Return to the Inn frequently after this. You may be given a chance to
do a belly dance.
(not very sure about this, sorry)
1. You may have a fake blackbird if you imported your character. If yes, then
sneak into Ferria's home and replace the blackbird there.
2. If not, then you have to steal the blackbird from Ferrai's home first,
give it to Wolfie. Wolfie will make a similar fake blackbird. Get the
fake blackbird and the original one from him.
3. Later in the game, Elsa will appear (about the time of the Rite of Justice).
Do the thief sign on her, and you will be at Minos Palace, on your way
to be the Chief Thief.
I am really sorry here -- I really know nothing about thieves.
1. The basket is at the beach area around Naxos. Wander around them, and keep
your eyes open!
1. Give the drugged chocolate to Salim. It shall before the Rite of Courage
2. After returning from Hades, give Salim the lethe water.
1. Give black lotus to Salim
WINNING ERANA'S HEART
AND ANYONE ELSE'S
1. Okay, the four characters you can marry are: Katrina, Erana, Elsa and Nawar
2. Talk to Erana before or after the rites. Give her gifts -- chocolates, flowers and
the magic seeds. Above all, do good deeds (all the sub quests and honourable stuff).
3. For Elsa, she will repeatedly appear during the last few rites. Sleep at the inn at
night and she will turn up. Make sure you let she have the hydra teeth during the
3rd rite. Then give her flowers and please her. She will be yours soon. Get her
the Ice Diamond Sword as well.
4. Never tried Nawar before. But from what I had heard -- give her flowers, flirt with her.
Also, go out at town during night -- she will be on one of the balcony. Try to get up
there (theives and magic user shall have no problems) and talk to her. She will ask you
to teach someone a lesson. It is up to you.
5. Don't forget to keep on giving the Hera's ring to the girl you like! By the way, Elsa
won't accept the Hera's ring, I suppose.
6. Good old Katrina is back! (yeah...) Give her plenty of flowers, cholocate and
an amulet of defense till she says that you have been very generous. IMPORTANT!
Only fighters and wizards can claim the heart of Katrina!
DANCING WITH THE DRYADS
1. Pour Hippocrene water into the roots of the dryad.
2. If you are a magic user, you will get a magic wood needed to make your staff.
BECOMING THE CHAMPION OF THE ARENA
1. Around days 28 (or when most of your opponents have been the champion. The order
seen to be Kokeeno, Magnum, Elsa, Toro and Gort), which shall be the last week
of the 4th week. At the start of the new week, quickly go to the Dead Parrot
Inn and register yourself.
2. You will have the chance to be the champion.
3. SECRETS AND WACKY STUFF
Here is a list of some secrets of the game. Please tell me more!
- When you import a character from Quest for Glory 1, 2 or 3, your stats will be
higher than a character imported from Quest for Glory 4. In QFG 1, all the stats
are multiped by 4 in Dragon Fire. If you have all at 100 in QFG 1, you will
start with a hero with all his stats at 400!
- The door to the 2nd level of the inn is magically locked. Due to a bug in the game (or is it
purposelly done?), if you try to pick the lock, all your other thief skills will increase,
but your Lock Picking will not.
- Shadow boxing when you know arcobatics will improve your Strength, Agility, Vitality, Luck,
Offense and Defense.
- Elsa and Magnum will both appear at the Guild from time to time. Go talk to them. Elsa is
okay, but Magnum is digusting.
- There will always be dragonlings at the dragon pillar northwest from the city. It is by the
- Tried jumping on the bed?
- After you have painted Gnome Ann's inn and handed her the deed to the inn, keep
on going back to the Inn, during the evening. You may be asked to put up a
- Remember the Dragon Pillar that will constantly have the _same_ monster throughout
the day? Even if the monsters there are Shades, they will be there during daytime as well!
THE END OF a guide to Dragon Fire
Any error, correction, hint or secret, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This doucment copyrighted 1999, all rights reserved.
The Spoiler Centre