Secret of Monkey Island - Complete Walkthorugh
Arrival on Melee Island
- You start off having a brief
chat with the lookout. He tells you to go to the Scumm
Bar if you want to become a pirate.
- When you take control of
Guybrush, you will come across the Scumm Bar. Go inside.
- Talk to the pirate leaders to
learn you have to perform three tasks in order to become
a pirate. These tasks are mastering the sword, pilfering
the idol and finding the treasure of Melee Island.
- Open the kitchen door. Now
wait for the chef to walk into the other room and head
for the kitchen.
- Pick up the pot and the meat.
Go outside step on the plank of wood a few times, so the
bird flys off. Now quickly pick up the red herring.
- Go out of the village and
onto the map. Go to the pink clearing.
- You should be at the circus.
Talk to the Fetuccini brothers to learn they need someone
to fire from the cannon.
- Volunteer to be fired, and
when they ask for a helmet give them the pot. Receive
your money, and head back to the town.
Mastering the sword
- Go to the shop, and buy the
- Talk to the shopkeeper. Ask
him about the sword master. Follow him to find her house.
Dont challenge her yet though.
- Head to the house on the far
right of the map. When the troll stops you, give him the
- When you arrive at the house,
demand to be trained at sword fighting.
- After you are trained up, go
and fight the pirates until you have learned answers to
lots of insults. When you are good enough to beat
the sword master, go and fight her.
- The sword master uses
different insults, but you they still have the same
answers. After defeating her collect your T-shirt and
- Go back to town. Buy a map
from the man with a parrot on his shoulder, and go to the
shop and buy a shovel to dig up the treasure with.
- Go the fork and follow the
- When you find the treasure,
dig it up and you will get Another T-shirt!
Pilfering the Idol
- Go to the fork, and go back.
Pick up a yellow flower, and use it with the meat you got
at the Scumm bar.
- Feed the condemned meat to
the dogs outside the governors mansion.
- Go into the mansion and open
the first door you see.
- After the cut-scene, learn
you need a file.
- Go into the prison. Learn
prisoner has bad breath.
- Go into the shop. Talk to the
shopkeeper and buy some breath mints
- Give the breath mints to the
prisoner (Otis). Give Otis the gopher repellent you
obtained during the cut-scene. Receive the carrot cake.
- Use Carrot cake, and you will
get a file. Now you can go get the idol.
- After the cut-scene you will
be at the bottom of the sea. Pick up the idol.
- Learn that Lechuck has taken
away Elaine, and that you need a crew of three and a ship.
Finding a crew
- Go to the voodoo lady in the
town. Pick up the rubber chicken.
- Go to the shore (top-left of
the map). Use the rubber chicken on the wire.
- Enter the house, and ask
Meathook to join your crew. You will have to touch a
vicious beast before he joins though.
- Visit the sword master and
show her the ransom note. She will join your crew.
- Now go into town, and into
the Scumm bar. Pick up all the empty mugs, and fill one
up with grog.
- You have to successfully
carry the grog to the prison cell and release Otis. To do
this keep on using mug with mug so that the grog is still
- Use the grog on the cell to
release Otis. Hell run off but will join you later.
Getting a Ship
- Now go to Stans (lights
on the map). Ask him about credit.
- Go to town and to the shop.
Ask the shopkeeper for a note of credit, and memorize the
- Ask the shopkeeper to find
you the sword master. When he goes enter the safe
combination and get the note of credit.
- Go back to Stans and
talk extras. Refuse the extras. Then ask him for a price.
If its too high, then walk away and hell call
you back. You can do this twice.
- When the ship is bought, all
you need to do is go back to the town, where your ship
and crew are waiting. Stan will give you some handy
leaflets that youll need later.
On Board the Sea Monkey
- When you get on the ship, youll
be in the bedroom. Open the drawer and take out the book.
Look at it to discover there is a bookmark that comes
- Open the cupboard to find a
- Leave the room, and climb the
- Pick up the Flag and climb
- Go down the hatch and down
the ladder into the cellar
- Pick up the gunpowder from
the kegs on the left and open the chest to get the wine.
Pick up the rope as well.
- Now go up a floor and then
down into the kitchen. Pick up the Pot and open the
cupboard. Pick up the cereal.
- Open the cereal to get a
prize, and open the prize to discover a small key.
- Go back to the bedroom and
open the chest. Pick up the Cinnamon sticks and the
- Pick up the Quill and the Ink.
- Now go to the kitchen and put
all the inventory you can into the pot, but put the
gunpowder in last.
- There should be an explosion,
and when you wake you should be beside Monkey Island.
- Now use any piece of paper
you have on the fire underneath the cooking pot.
- Go to the cellar and pick up
some more gunpowder.
- Next go to the deck and use
the gunpowder in the cannon nozzle. Use the rope on the
cannon, and use the pot as a helmet. You will be blasted
to Monkey Island.
Arrival on Monkey Island
- You will start on the beach
and meet Herman Toothrot. When you get up, pick up the
- On the map, go to the fort in
the Volcano. Push over the cannon and pick up the
gunpowder. Pick up the rope, the cannonball and the
- Go to the river fork. Pick up
the rock and climb up the footholds.
- Push the sculpture so it is
in a straight line and walk past. Climb up the footholds.
- Push the rock off the cliff.
It should hit the banana tree. If it doesnt, adjust
the layout of the sculpture.
- Climb back down. Use the
gunpowder on the dam. Use the Noteworthy rock
with the cannonball to blow up the dam and fill up the
river with water.
- Go to the pond and pick up
the rope that the hangman is holding.
- Go to the canyon. Use the
ropes to climb down it and pick up the Oars.
- Now go back to the beach you
started on, and use the oars on the boat. Pick up the two
bananas on the ground too.
- Paddle to the other side of
the island and enter the cannibal village.
- Pick up the bananas at the
far left and you will get captured and thrown into a
prison by the three cannibals.
- Whilst in the prison, pick up
the loose floorboard and escape from the hut.
- Take the boat back to the
other side of the island and go to visit the monkey.
- Give the monkey all the
bananas in your inventory and it will follow you. Take it
to the giant monkey head.
- Pull the nose on the totem
pole. The monkey will do the same, allowing you access to
the monkey head.
- Go into the grounds and pick
up the wimpy little idol.
- Go back to your boat and
paddle to the cannibal village.
- When you are captured, give
them the wimpy little idol. Now you can go in the hut and
get the banana picker.
- Give the banana picker to
Herman Toothrot and he will give you the key to the giant
monkey head. Leave the village.
- Enter the village again. Talk
to the cannibals and learn about the navigators
- Give the cannibals the
leaflet entitled How to get ahead in navigating
you will get the navigators head.
- Go back to the monkey head.
Use the key in the monkeys ear.
- Inside the canyon, use the
navigators head. Follow it until you find the ghost
- Talk to the head. Ask him for
the necklace, and keep threatening him until you get it.
- Use the necklace and board
- On board the Ghost Ship
- Open the door on the left and
use the magnetic compass on the key.
- Go down the hatch and keep on
going until you reach the room with the animals. Pick up
the chickens feather.
- Enter the dormitories and use
the ghost feather on the pirates feet. He will drop
his grog, so pick it up.
- Go back to the animal room
and unlock the hatch.
- Go down and use the grog in
the rats bowl. Pick up the grease.
- Head to the deck and use the
grease on the squeaky door to the right.
- Go through the door and pick
up the ghost tools.
- Go down to the animal room
again and use the ghost tools on the crate. Take the root
and you will be taken back to the cannibals where your
ghost spray will be made.
- Watch the cut scene
and learn you have to go back to Melee island to stop
Lechuck from marrying Elaine.
Back to Melee Island
- When you arrive on Melee
Island head straight for the church.
- Destroy the ghosts that stop
you with your root spray.
- When you get to the church
stop the wedding, and you will find that the cap on your
spray is stuck.
- Lechuck will begin to punch
you around and you will eventually land in Stans
- Pick up the root beer that
falls out of the machine and use it on Lechuck
- You have now completed The
Secret of Monkey Island!